Our SIBOL TOTAL IS 1376! Thank You!

Slideshow of Sunshine Blankets (Click on Left/Right Arrows).

Challenge Blankets
I'm Sue and can be contacted on
sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com

It is so important that email addresses and names are enclosed with your donations of Sunshine Blankets, Shawls and Butterflies please. Thank you!

Butterflies LINK


'Crochet keeps our hands busy so our minds can rest. It is a gift to help quiet the world around us, if even for a moment. To create -- and think of those we create for --is a quiet prayer of hope, love and dreams all wrapped up in a hook, a book and a ball of yarn. Author Anonymous. Thanks Cynthia.
SIBOL Blog
I NO LONGER ACCEPT KNITTED OR CROCHETED SQUARES. I DO HOWEVER ACCEPT MADE UP BLANKETS FOR THE ELDERLY IN CARE HOMES. I'D BE VERY HAPPY TO RECEIVE YOURS! THANK YOU! 'SIBOL' is a charitable outlet for your Crocheting and Knitting Skills why not join us? Together we are 'Sending a ray of Sunshine into the Lives of the Elderly.' All enquiries please contact Sue on sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com Thank you!
Please Note

Please may I remind you to enclose your email address with parcels delivered to my home. If I don't acknowledge receipt it's because I can't find your address. Thank you.


Total 1384 Thank you!




Wednesday 9 July 2014

My Knitting Group talk on Tuesday.

Good Afternoon,

I had a lovely afternoon yesterday when I visited Digbeth-in-the-Field Church at Yardley, Birmingham.

digbeth in the fields church

If you remember I was invited to give a talk about our 'SIBOL' project. I did have a few doubts about going to be honest with you because our 'Little Miss Twin 2' the youngest by 6 minutes unfortuntely fell down the bottom couple of steps at home on Monday morning and broke her ankle. So she's laid up at home and things have been rather difficult. My main worry was leaving her but as Mr. T. is at home now he kindly agreed to keep an eye on her. It is so painful at the moment for her and isn't it awkward having a leg in plaster? Anyway, I did manage to go and this was my opening line if you like. Of course the Ladies in the Group were all terribly concerned about her.

When Janet rang me to invite me along to the meeting back in early June I had just delivered our 'Sunshine Blanket's to a local home and I did say I hadn't got many to show them so she was amazed to see that I had taken 4 boxes full with more at home! 

A very friendly group of Ladies who were terribly interested in our work. Doing Knitting for Samaritans Purse and other various charities they understood what it was all about. I introduced myself to them and first of all I told them why I started the project. I spoke about my Grandmother and told them how lucky she was to be able to live independently on her own.  Explaining that there are many Elderly people who aren't so lucky and it was to these people who I wanted to help. Of course if you remember when I first started back in January 2010, we had Squares flying in from all over the World and for the first year and a half I was putting the Squares together myself. But.....as you can imagine I soon got inundated with them and the Ladies on RAVERLY were all very kind to offer to help me. I suppose in those early days I didn't like asking to be honest with you.  My initial aim was to make 6, but as I explained to the Ladies in the Group we have now made 771 well with Tuesday's delivery that brings a total to 777! Amazing! Nowadays we don't accept Squares as you know we only accept ready made Blankets but this idea has taken off and this saves everyone a lot of time and money! 

I invited the Ladies in the Group to take a Butterfly and told them that we first of all started putting Butterflies on our 'Sunshine Blanket' 7. Then dear Salma one of our 'SIBOLETTE's' in Kuwait suggested that we ought to put them on every Blanket rather like a trademark. This idea took off and we do this by routine now. They absolutely loved the Butterflies and I am very thankful to everyone who made some for me especially for my visit on Tuesday. I took a basket full with me.


There wasn't actually any tables out for me to display our work unlike the last talk I did at the Craft Group but as I was speaking I held each Blanket up to show them. Showing them Blankets from all over the World. I was asked all sorts of questions and then someone mentioned Shawls! 'Shawls', I said. 'I have lots to show you!' So out came the beautiful Shawls we had made. I was just so proud of everyone.  They looked at them and took so much interest. I even did a demonstration of wearing one. 

I also showed them the photo of my Grandmother and I held up the Blanket we made  in her Memory. I explained how she loved the radio, westerns, her potatoe, meat and veg dinners. Her favourite flowers forget-me-nots, roses and daffodils etc., The Ladies were really all amazed at everyone's talent!

Thanks to everyone who contributed Squares for this Blanket. They are amazing!

I showed them the 500th Blanket and the 100th too. Especially pointing out Marilyn's machine embroidery Squares and how she had picked up the theme of the Blanket. I can honestly say that everyone was so excited to see the Blankets and they all really did take such an interest in them.

011



I gave out sheets about our Group inviting the Ladies to make a Butterfly or a Blanket and also my little Business cards with all the information on.

After the talk we had prayers which was really lovely. Thanking us all for the creative work we do for others in need and inspiring us to carry on. We had cups of tea and biscuits and one of the Husbands very kindly took a photo for me. I'm sorry I don't have more. I do hate that top I was wearing I look as though I'm expecting!

photo.JPG



I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and I can honestly say that all of the Ladies absolutely loved your work and they all said how talented you were.  I did try to show them as many Blankets as I could.

Thanks to Janet and Ladies for inviting me and to everyone who supports the 'SIBOL' project.Without you all we couldn't do what we are doing.

x Sue x 



No comments:

Post a Comment