Our SIBOL TOTAL IS 1376! Thank You!

Slideshow of Sunshine Blankets (Click on Left/Right Arrows).

Challenge Blankets
I'm Sue and can be contacted on
sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com

It is so important that email addresses and names are enclosed with your donations of Sunshine Blankets, Shawls and Butterflies please. Thank you!

Butterflies LINK


'Crochet keeps our hands busy so our minds can rest. It is a gift to help quiet the world around us, if even for a moment. To create -- and think of those we create for --is a quiet prayer of hope, love and dreams all wrapped up in a hook, a book and a ball of yarn. Author Anonymous. Thanks Cynthia.
SIBOL Blog
I NO LONGER ACCEPT KNITTED OR CROCHETED SQUARES. I DO HOWEVER ACCEPT MADE UP BLANKETS FOR THE ELDERLY IN CARE HOMES. I'D BE VERY HAPPY TO RECEIVE YOURS! THANK YOU! 'SIBOL' is a charitable outlet for your Crocheting and Knitting Skills why not join us? Together we are 'Sending a ray of Sunshine into the Lives of the Elderly.' All enquiries please contact Sue on sueatpigsty@virginmedia.com Thank you!
Please Note

Please may I remind you to enclose your email address with parcels delivered to my home. If I don't acknowledge receipt it's because I can't find your address. Thank you.


Total 1384 Thank you!




Monday 2 January 2012

What to do with that 'unwanted' yarn! UPDATED 3/1/2012 SQUARES FROM CANADA AND THE UK!

Hi Everyone!

I'm sure as it is the start of 2012, everyone is having a de-clutter and making room for their new 2012 yarn!
The question is what do we do with our old 'un-wanted/un-used' yarn! Well I have some ideas for you!

Not only can you make Squares for 'SIBOL' (All details are over on our Challenge Blog) but if you want to you can do any of the following. These are 'just ideas' and please do not feel that you have to do any of them!

1.  'Make your own 'SIBOL' Blanket from 'Squares.'

Why not make a 'SIBOL' Blanket yourself? If you enjoy making Squares Crocheted or Knitted of whatever pattern and you like making a lot of them then instead of sending individual Squares to me, why not assemble them yourself?

Our 'SIBOL' Squares MUST BE 6" x 6" (15cms x 15cms).
We have 25 6" x 6" Squares in a 'SIBOL' Blanket.
With a Border of 1" to 2".
So roughly the finished Blanket will be 37"/38".
The Squares can be joined in whatever fashion you like.
Sewing them together or Crocheting them together.
The Blanket can be Knitted or Crocheted.
Acrylic please if possible.

If you are kind enough to send a whole Blanket you will go into our 'Hall of Fame' over on RAVELRY!


2. 'Make your own 'SIBOL' - 'Large Granny Square' Blanket' .
Are you new to Crocheting and feel that you have only just mastered the UK treble?
Are you confident making a Granny Square but haven't progressed to more advanced Squares?
Or maybe you find just working up a Large Granny Square is relaxing?
Then why not use that unwanted stash of yarn and make a 'SIBOL' Granny Square Blanket?

The Blanket must be 36" x 36" Square with added border.

Use any 'unwanted' yarn you have.
If you have any yarn that you absolutely hate, why not use it for this project. For example (Plain Black yarn). Even if they are 'manly' colours these Blankets will be very well received by people who need them.

You may want to make a magic ball of yarn by tying odd scraps together then just working it up to make a 36" Granny Square of various colours! Why not!
I can assure you 'SIBOL' can make use of your yarn!
It's also a good way of getting rid of your old  to make room for the new!

If you are kind enough to send a whole Blanket you will go into our 'Hall of Fame' over on RAVELRY!

3. 'Do you have any unwanted Crocheted or Knitted Blankets at home?

A 'SIBOLETTE' over on RAVELRY has recently asked me if 'SIBOL' could use a Blanket which she made and does not require for a member of her Family. Well what do you think my answer was!
Of course we can. I do hate to see Blankets go to waste. There are lots of Elderly folk who would love a Blanket to throw over their knees. So if you have have a Blanket which you now can't use for whatever reason, or you just don't like the finished item you have made then why not donate this to 'SIBOL?'. I would be very happy to accept it for the Elderly in the UK.

So guidelines are....
It must be clean.
It can be any size Blanket.
The Squares can be of any size.

If you are unsure of whether I can accept it then please contact me
Sue on sueatpigsty@talktalk.net

Of course 'SIBOL' relys on donations to keep our project running and if you have any unwanted yarn that you do not require and would like to see this go towards our work with the Elderly then please contact me for my address.  I can then distribute this to our 'SIBOLETTES' who are busy either making Squares or giving me a hand making the Blankets up!

Thank you so much and I do hope you find something of interest here today!

With your help we have now made 122 'Sunshine Blankets' all of which have been donated to our Elderly folk either in Nursing Homes or more vunerable needy people.  Thank you.


UPDATED TUESDAY 3/1/2012.

It's so nice to have postal deliveries after the New Year Holiday, and I am so...pleased to be showing you these gorgeous Squares that have come all the way from Pattygloria in Canada. These Squares have fantastic colour combinations. I just love the American yarn and I also love the centres of two of these Squares.  These Squares are beautiful Pattygloria thank you so much for sending them to me I am very grateful to you.

Pattygloria (Canada) Your Squares arrived today! Thank you! What fantastic colours!

Do you agree with me? I'm sure you will!


Pattygloria said, "  I tried a new pattern and turn it into a granny square, for the two of them with the centre flowers, from Crochet Today Magazine, November/December 2011 by Kim Kotary."

Then I have had Kianies' Squares arrive today from the UK.

Kianie has made a Square for our 'Jan Eaton Challenge'. Why not have a go at this pretty Square? This is Block No.97 and it's called 'Eyelet Lace'.

'Jan Eaton Challenge'. Block No. 97 'Eyelet Lace'.


What a pretty Block this is! It is from the Jan Eaton's book 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans. We are at present collecting Squares for this Challenge. There are still places available if you want to join in the fun.  Please pop over to SIBOL CHALLENGES.

The other Square has been made for our 'Your Local Landscape' Challenge. I really need to get lots more Squares in for this Challenge and I really need them quickly too! We are collecting Squares for a special Charity Blanket. This one is going off to Jersey hopefully to be exhibited in the Jersey Textile Showcase. Then it will be sold to raise money for Mencap. I am so excited about this Challenge. But as I say I need more Squares please.

What do you see from your window? Do you see your garden like Kianie? Or do you see Fields or Buildings, or maybe the Sea?  Whatever you see why not make a 6" Square Crocheted or Knitted and send it to me for this special Blanket. There are still places available. Please pop over to SIBOL CHALLENGES.

Let's take a look now at Kianies' Square!

'Your Local Landscape' simply gorgeous!


Note the detail in this Square. Tiny Beads have been used in the tree. Can you spot the Watering Can and the cute Birdies too! What a fabulous Square! Thank you so much Kianie!

Thank you very much Pattygloria and Kianie I love your Squares!
Thanks for visiting SIBOL today!

x Sue x

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I didn't realize that you accept large granny blankets. I love making those. I'm going a 12 in '12 charity project this year and I've selected SIBOL as one of the 12 groups I want to donate to although it will be a few months down the road. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete